Friday, April 13, 2018

My Problem with Aesthetics


Aesthetic is the it word right now. Some people have an aesthetic feed, some don't. We gush over someone's amazing aesthetic. We have aesthetic goals. We want our life to look aesthetic.

Are you getting tired of hearing that word in repetition? So am I.

First off, before I go tearing into my *cough* speech. Let's look at what an aesthetic is exactly.

Long story short: Aesthetic is beauty that gives pleasure.

But what does it mean to us? From my investigation, it mainly means having a color theme. Normally white with just a touch of succulent and fairy lights. But it can mean something different with every different subject (For book covers paintings and very few colors are aesthetic right now)

So what does it do? It makes people want to have aesthetic life's. We want to have a life that inspires comments like "wow, your life is so aesthetic."

I'm going to tell you something; there is nothing aesthetic about my life. Not even my Pinterest boards. I can't stay with one theme to save my life.

So now we get to the point of this post: if aesthetic is just wanting things to look pretty, why do I have a problem with it? 

Once upon a late night online, I decided I was going to be aesthetic. I was going to figure out how all these people did it, and I was going to do it too. Why? Because its pretty. Those people are the most popular. And it would be nice for once to have people say my life looked beautiful.

Once upon the end of my first week, I had failed and I was beating myself up about it. I just couldn't seem to stick to what went with the theme I had chosen. There were so many other things I loved.

I was holding myself to an impossible standard of what the internet thought was pretty. I told myself that it was just posting pretty pictures, it wouldn't make a difference. But it did. It made a huge difference. I was getting frustrated with my whole life and everything in it for not being aesthetic.

To me, trying to stay true to my 'aesthetic' led to a lot more detriment then it did good. It was like I was forcing myself to lie about my life and say it was petty so people would like me.

Now, guys, I'm not saying that all aesthetics are bad, or that having an aesthetic feed is bad. What I'm saying is that sometimes we hold our self to a standard so high that it forces us into a mold not made for us. We weren't all made to post white/green/fairy-lit photos, okay? We weren't meant to only read books with pretty covers. We weren't meant to hate posting a picture that didn't go with our feed.

Maybe we need to rethink our aesthetic. To ask our self's why we are doing it. Because if you're doing it because you love posting pictures that go together, and it just makes you feel happy, go for it. But if you're doing it (Like I did) because of pure pressure, and trying to gain followers, maybe its time to rethink. People may look at your feed and be impressed, but maybe there are other people who feel suppressed by the aesthetic movement and would be encouraged by you being different.

Do you agree? Disagree? I would love to hear your thoughts. I'm totally up for discussion on this one.

8 comments:

  1. I agree! I actually sometimes think it's boring when there's an Instagram feed that's exactly the same color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes it gets a little boring just seeing the same color for the whole feed. ;P

      Delete
  2. I obviously love aesthetics, but I do get what you're saying!

    I like more realistic/grunge aesthetic because it shows the beauty of everyday life and small moments.

    I don't have an Instagram, so I guess it's not a huge issue for me anyway. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love aesthetics sometimes to. Especially pinterest ones. It's just the obsession that bothers me. =)

      Awesome!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for taking it back to the definition. I'm very familiar with the word, but I'm not in the circles online where it's become a "movement," so I didn't even know this was a thing, and aesthetic means something very different to me.

    My understanding is that anyone pursuing anything artistic has an aesthetic, whether they're conscious of it or not, because it's just a fancy way of describing what they see as beautiful. And what they value as beautiful will express itself in their work. Naturally.

    So, (remembering this is just by my definition and I could well be wrong) when you admitted, "There were so many other things I loved," I hear you saying that your "aesthetic" (rule you were trying to stick to) was fighting your real aesthetic (what you naturally saw as beautiful).

    Well said, Mikayla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum, I'd never heard it described that way. That's interesting.

      Thanks, Scott.

      Delete
  4. I would definitely agree. It's so easy to see what the world considers aesthetic and pretty and want to copy it- then feel like a failure because we don't have the same style, or colors, or whatever it may be. What you said about a sense of "suppression" is so true; I think that a lot of people have fallen prey to that and aren't being themselves for fear of not being properly "aesthetic". Being real is so important, and I'm glad I'm seeing bloggers like you who are standing up for being real.

    Anyway, thank you for sharing your thoughts, Mikayla. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, you have no idea how much this comment meant to me. <3 Hugs. Thank you.

      Delete

Let’s talk! Comment about anything; my blog post, what music you’re listening to right now, how the weather is where you are, I want to hear it all! Check back for my replies.
If you are using the anonymous option, please leave your name so I know it is not a spam comment. Thank you!!
Let’s do this. What’s on your mind?