Friday, January 22, 2016

Food For Thought #51

Not in my own strength 


Sometimes you don't realize what your motivations were until its to late. This week I have had a hard lesson in wrong motivations. Unfortunately a lot of my acts have been just on the edge, so that to everyone else, it looked like I have good motivations, but I knew I didn't. Only it took me until now, really looking back at my week to realize it. 

Monday I tried rock climbing for the first time. That was awesome, but there was one wall I could not get to the top over. It was to hard. I would get about halfway up to a part where it curved out, and I simply did not have the strength to get over. I tried five times, but could not do it. 
I thought at the time that I was doing it all five times just for a challenge, but really thinking about it, I know I was doing hoping to show off. I wanted to be able to say I had conquered it. Now I thank God I did not get over it. It would have only served to expand my already too large ego. 

I've done so many things this week, hoping to further myself in my own strength and I have failed miserably. But you know what? That's okay because it helped me refocus on God and really try to rely on His strength, not mine.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6 

To God be the glory!

6 comments:

  1. So very true, Mikayla. I've had this happen in the area of friendships before. I thought I had it all under control, that I could do it all on my own, and then things came crashing to the ground. But I find that the friendships that I give to God, they either thrive or come to an appropriate end. Doing things in our own strength is the easiest thing to do. But yet it's not something that Christ has asked of us. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had it happen in friendships as well. Its really hard. Thank you so much for commenting. It's always nice to know that people can relate.
      Thank you!
      -Mikayla-

      Delete
  2. That's so cool you tried rock climbing, Mikayla!! Did you like it?? And, you know, I think I struggle with this in school. I rely on my memorizing and studying things (which you should do, of course! ;)), and twice with quizes semi-recently I've gotten some of my worst grades. And then, I recently did a quiz, studied for it, but I prayed beforehand and asked for Jesus' help. And I actually got an A... ;D So I totally get relying on yourself instead of Christ! I'm getting better, though, I hope. ;)
    -Micaiah-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! My arms were incredibly sore for three days afterwards, but it was worth it! =D Thats awesome! I hope your school continues to go well as you place your trust in Him. =)
      -Mikayla-

      Delete
  3. this is great Mikayla! So true. Some times we're so caught up in what we did that we totally forget that Jesus gave us the body to do that. Without that we couldn't do anything. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, its definitely a hard lesson to learn sometimes, but such a good one. Thanks for commenting!
      -Mikayla-

      Delete

Let’s talk! Comment about anything; my blog post, what music you’re listening to right now, how the weather is where you are, I want to hear it all! Check back for my replies.
If you are using the anonymous option, please leave your name so I know it is not a spam comment. Thank you!!
Let’s do this. What’s on your mind?