Tuesday, May 22, 2018

More on Andrea's Star


This is the beginning to my book Andrea's Star. I'm still working on this story, so I have a kind of love/hate relationship with it.


Andrea lay on her back, staring up at the stars. I should have been looking at the stars to, but the little girl next to me had captured my attention far more than the glistening points above.

Her bright blue eyes took in everything above as though it was pouring strait into her soul. The stars reflected in her eyes, making her look younger than her ten years.  

“You're not looking at the stars,” Andrea giggled, flopping over onto her side to face me. 

A grin lit my face, “That's because you're much more interesting than they are.” 

“But Katlin, we're out here to see stars,” her small mouth turned down in a pout. 

I bit back the laugh that threatened to take ahold of me “Okay Andrea, I'll watch the stars.” I turned my attention very deliberately upwards. 

I heard her shift next to me, and her small body pressed up against mine. 

A smile snuck onto my face as she rested her head on my arm. I looked back up at the sky. Covered in a brilliant array of white specks, it looked like some kind of magic had been spread over the heavens. Across the sky, in a faint strain, I could see the Milky Way. The huge galaxy where I called home was spread out in front of me, so much larger than I ever could imagine. 

Out here in the country, the cares of home seemed to slip away into the sky. 


8 comments:

  1. This is a very sweet excerpt! I love it when stories have little children in them, especially when they are enthralled with nature! #love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you!! Me to. This is one of my few books I've written with a kid in it and I love it. =)

      Delete
  2. I totally understand the love/hate relationship.

    That snippet is amazing though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous excerpt! I can't help but especially love writing with stars in there somewhere. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I actually thought of you sometimes when I was writing! I loved all the stars. =)

      Delete
  4. Aw, this is sweet. I'm curious about what happens next! xx

    ReplyDelete

Let’s talk! Comment about anything; my blog post, what music you’re listening to right now, how the weather is where you are, I want to hear it all! Check back for my replies.
If you are using the anonymous option, please leave your name so I know it is not a spam comment. Thank you!!
Let’s do this. What’s on your mind?