Monday, November 19, 2018

Five Minutes to Spare


I was sitting at Whataburger (Best burgers in the world. Only in Texas), doing NaNo. My sister Grace had to step away for a minute, and so I was typing alone. A man in his late sixty’s leaned over to me from the seat down and asked if I was still in school. When I told him no, he told me that he was retired UPS and that if I was looking for a part-time job, that was the place to go. He proceeded to go on for a long time about what the job looked like, and the hours and benefits. I was a little wary, I mean, I was trying to write, but I didn’t want to upset the man. I can always spare a few minutes. 
The man got a call a minute later. I only heard his part of the conversation, but he was talking to his wife who was in the hospital. He promised to come to see her just as soon as the hospitals visiting hours opened up. 
I don’t know if the man just likes telling people about UPS, or if he needed someone to talk to, but I am so glad I was sitting there. Five minutes was all that guy needed. He needed someone to listen and I am so glad (as a package enthusiast) I was sitting next to him.

12 comments:

  1. That's really sweet. <3 Sometimes, we get so tied up in our own ambitions and wants that we forget that we are needed for other things, even if it is a simple five minutes. Beautiful post. <3 (P.S Whataburger is EPIC. Nice to meet a fellow Texan. <3)

    ~Ivie
    Ivie Brooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do. So often I don't make time for others and I always regret it afterwards. =/
      Thank you!! AHH!! Texan!! *High five* Nice to meet you. =D

      Delete
  2. What a neat little story... sometimes five minutes is all it takes to brighten someone's day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were so nice to listen to the man.Obviously he need someone to talk to.
    Mikayla Have A HAPPY and BLESSED THANKSGIVING.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was sweet, it was easy to be nice to him. =)
      Thank you! To you as well!

      Delete
  4. Thank You for this touching post. Wishing you and yours a Blessed Thanksgiving.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Let’s talk! Comment about anything; my blog post, what music you’re listening to right now, how the weather is where you are, I want to hear it all! Check back for my replies.
If you are using the anonymous option, please leave your name so I know it is not a spam comment. Thank you!!
Let’s do this. What’s on your mind?