Monday, November 26, 2018

NaNoWriMo Excerpt


Hey everyone! I'm a bit buried under NaNo (surprise surprise) so here are some little tidbits from my work in progress! These are unedited, so they're probably messy. =) 

Some names have been changed to protect spoilers. ;) Also, Conner is my main characters (Kate) brother.


The field was filled with screams. So many people hurt. So many people dying. The massacre happening faster then any of us expected. The platform, I was laying out on it. Colby screaming from the other side. Zoe was in front of me, he dad dying. His last breath. In, out, nothing. I couldn't rip my eyes away from him. Dead. So many people dead. I couldn't move. I couldn't help anyway.

Someone was pulling me up. I scrunched up my face. The pain. Everywhere. It was all over me.
They were holding me. I was safe. I felt the beating of their heart against my cheek. I became aware of my own ragged breathing. My face was wet.
I gripped their back and slowly realized I was in my room. It was as dark as the mines. Conner's familiar breathing was over me. He didn't say anything. I didn't care.
I cried into his shoulder. Sobs came up harder than they ever had since the attack. I shivered as I could still feel the dark feeling that was over that field.
Conner held onto me and ever so lightly ran his thumb back and forth over my back.
The phantom pain faded and I took slow breaths into the dark, attempting to calm my racing heart.
I listened to his steady heart, letting it calm my own. We were home. The battlefield was all the way back on earth. I was safe.


My breaths came in ragged breaths as I sank down against the wall. I should go home. I should be with my family. They would help this hollow feeling inside. This sinking feeling that we were never going to be at peace. I took in quick breaths as I watched the medics and security swarm over the area. Was the man I had helped okay? Was anyone okay after this? 
Something twisted in my stomach. Something heavier than when earth had attacked us. That had been people who didn't know us. Who didn't care. But we had just attacked ourselves. Sideners, Kelarians, we were all the same, no matter how much hatred ran in our veins. 
I hugged my knees to me, everything beginning to feel numb. I was alone. So alone. 
The wind started up, pushing my hair back from my face and sending ash right into me. 
I coughed into my arm, squeezing my eyes shut as they burned from the ash. 
I had to get away. Stumbling to my feet I pushed away from the wall and hurried forward. Ignoring all pain, I squeezed through the people coming and going. I had to get away. 



A special thank you to my real life Kate for helping me decide what to post tonight and making the process more fun. <3

7 comments:

  1. Love this, Mikayla! I'm really curious to see what's going on. :D Also, thanks for doing that with me! It was really fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully someday the book with be readable enough that you can read it! =)

      Delete
  2. That was intense, in the best way. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Exactly what Gray Marie said. ^ :D
    Does this have anything to do with the "I am Ivy" flash fiction? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebekah! =D
      It doesn't, but they do take place in similar worlds! =D I'm still hoping to get back to I am Ivy and write more in it. =)

      Delete
    2. Cool! :D

      Delete

Let’s talk! Comment about anything; my blog post, what music you’re listening to right now, how the weather is where you are, I want to hear it all! Check back for my replies.
If you are using the anonymous option, please leave your name so I know it is not a spam comment. Thank you!!
Let’s do this. What’s on your mind?